Why is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Such a Popular Discussion Topic
Search Engine Optimization is one of the most discussed and debatable topics on the internet today. Also, it is one of the most confusing topics.
In its basic form, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is act of modifying a web site so that it does well in the organic, crawler-based listings of search engines.
Now even this quick to the point definition of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can lead to spirited debates about the meaning and reasons like SEO.
So the question maybe asked, why is SEO such a popular and debatable topic that causes so much debate within the SEO community and the general internet population particularly internet marketers? In my respectful opinion there are 6 reasons why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has the popularity that it currently enjoys.
- Targeted Site traffic : If you ask the vast majority of internet marketers and folks within the SEO industry what is the most important factor to a successful website business and/or operation. A large percentage of the people will say site traffic and even more specifically targeted site traffic.
Currently on the internet, the largest resource for targeted site traffic on a continuous bases are search engines. On a yearly bases numbers show that around 75% : 80% of all Digital Marketing Service Provider in Bangladesh purchases of individuals on the internet originally started as a result of a search at search engines and the vast majority of people who visit websites usually come via way of search engines. Numbers so dominate cannot be ignored even by the biggest opponents of search engine optimization. Moreover, because SEO is focused on optimizing websites for ranking success related to search engines, it’s only natural that people would be interested in the field and practice of Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- SEO Controversy : Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most debatable topics concerning internet website operations. The proponents of SEO can say that it is designed with a viable method for websites to be noticed in search engines which is important for any website looking for traffic on the internet today.
However, opponents embarrassed with SEO can also say that many websites achieve high search engine visibility without the use of SEO work and that SEO professionals only provide guess work high cost services that include no promises for search engine ranking success.
This example, which has some merit concerning the arguments on both sides, generates heated debates between proponents of SEO and SEO opponents on a continuous bases which is battled from a daily bases on community forums, blogs, websites and newsletters across the internet along with exposure in magazines and on TV.
Simply put controversy produces attention and whether you like it or hate it, SEO really does provide a great deal of controversy. Moreover, as long as search engines play a superior role in generating targeted site traffic, SEO will continue to be a popular topic.
- Money : Search Engine Optimization is a variable million-dollar business. Search engines generate billions of dollars each year through advertising. Websites earn billions of dollars for their owners each year via using search engines either through paid advertisements or organic (free) listings and search results.
It is no wonder with billions of dollars on the table on a yearly bases that most things can provide an individual or company a competitive edge in the ultra high pace internet world will be a hot topic for discussion and debate.
Moreover, through a combination of perception and reality that highlights Search Engine Optimization as a key to increasing internet sales, Search Engine Optimization is a very popular topic for decision makers within many companies which provides additional attention to SEO in the business world and beyond.
- No Standard SEO Rules or Regulations : Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be described as an advanced version of the wild wild rest of the world. Basically almost anything can be said or done because there are no formal set standards for the industry all together.
Therefore, in a true sense, no one is really right or wrong concerning any thoughts, comments or decisions concerning SEO techniques and/or methods. Right or wrong is replaced with what is considered meaning by individuals and everyone has a unique set of honesty. What one individual might consider underhanded someone else might consider completely honest, well intended assistance. This is why you have labels such as white hat and black hat SEO within the SEO industry.
- Search engines : Search Engine Optimization is made as a by-product resulting from the development, use and popularity of search engines. Without search engines, there is no SEO industry in its current form and format.
As statistics on a yearly bases confirm, the majority of the targeted site traffic on the internet is generated directly or indirectly via search engines and a very high percentage of internet sales are directly connected to visitors coming from search engines looking for products and/or services.
With the superior role that search engines play on the internet and the fact that the success of search engines depend on the ability to provide accurate and reliable search results to its visitors, successful search engines tend to develop an informal relationship with the SEO industry.
Whereby a certain amount of SEO work on websites can help search engines provide what its visitors are looking for which is top-notch search results.
For this reason, sometimes search engines will provide SEO information and SEO recommendations to its visitors entirely on the search engines. This helps the SEO industry tremendously by placing a in the headlines of the main people that are interested in organic (free) search results which are the search engine users looking for something specific and the internet marketers who would like to be found in the search engine.
- SEO Mystery : Minimal SEO professionals will explain what they do regarding SEO work in depth. Some will provide a little SEO information, which is mainly done as marketing efforts for the SEO professionals in community forums, blogs and newsletters. Even the e-books and books that are sold only explain SEO in a general nature. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is actually a mystery to the average webmaster and/or people interested in organic search engine results positioning.